Doing Any DIY Projects?
- Decks & Patios
- Trees or Shrubs
- Swing Sets
- Mailbox Posts
- Room Additions
- Swimming Pools
Know What’s Below Before You Dig! Even hand digging can cause damage. Over 25% of damage is from homeowners. When you contact MISS DIG 811, the public facility companies are notified to mark the location of their underground lines. Public facilities are marked for FREE by facility company representatives known as Locators. The Locators paint lines and/or place flags to mark the approximate location of underground public lines. Those painted lines usually run from the main facility to the meter on your house. Not everything gets marked when you call. Private facility lines are NOT marked. The unmarked private lines usually run from the house to any other building or object with service in your yard, like a garage or lamp post. A private locator may be hired to mark them. And often, water and sewer lines are only marked in the right-of-way not all the way to the meter on the house.
Why so many flags? What do they mean? Can I remove them? Do NOT remove the flags until the work is completed or after 21 days.Color Key:
- White - Area of Proposed Excavation
- Pink - Temporary Survey Markings
- Red - Electric
- Yellow - Gas, Oil, Steam, Propane
- Orange - Phone/CATV/Fiber
- Blue - Water
- Purple - Reclaimed water, irrigation, brine, slurry
- Green - Sewer/Storm
- Gray - Used to erase marks
5 Steps to Safe Digging
- Contact MISS DIG 811 online or by phone
- Wait a minimum 3 business days for utilities to be marked
- Check status online to confirm all utilities have been marked
- Hand dig when digging within 4 feet of paint or flags
- Dig with care!