Content about various programs.
Garbage and Recycling Program
The Village contracts with Steven’s Disposal & Recycling Service Inc. to provide refuse and recycling services to residential properties.
- Garbage is collected every Friday
- Recycling is collected every other Friday, you may refer to the Village calendar on the home page for specific dates
- Items must be out for collection by 6:00 AM the morning of pick up but no earlier than 3:00 PM the day before
- Bins should be at the curb with the handle facing your house
- Bins should be brought back from the curbside within 24 hours of pickup
- In the event of a missed collection, residents should contact the Village office at 517-456-7494
- Recyclable materials do not need to be separated
- Do not bag recycling materials, items should be loose in the bin
- List of acceptable items for recycling
- Sorry, no commercial curbside recycling
Bulk Items and Extra Bags
Stickers are sold at the Village office for additional refuse items. Large/bulk items or extra bags that will not fit in the bin will need a sticker. The cost is $10.00 for a bulk tag (one sticker needed per item) and $1.50 for an extra bag tag.
Garbage and recycling collection services will be postponed until Saturday if one of these observed holidays falls on a weekday:
- New Year's Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
The Village provides a compost program to Village residents. The compost pile is located on Bartlett Street West of Railroad Street and is available for grass clippings and leaf drop-off; no twigs, branches, bags, or items that will not decompose. Composted soil is available for residents at no cost if individuals pick it up at the compost site. Limit to 1 wheelbarrow load.
Wood Chip Program
The Village provides a woodchip/mulch program from the brush and tree branches that are chipped on brush pick-up days. There is no charge to deliver a load of woodchips/mulch to a home within the Village limits if coordinated with the Village’s brush pick-up schedule. For a fee, the Village can deliver woodchips/mulch to residents outside of the Village limits within a five-mile radius. For wood chip delivery, please call the Village office at 517-456-7494.
- Brush pick-up is on the first and third Thursday of the month from April through October, weather and staff permitting.
- Brush or tree branches must be less than four inches in diameter.
- They must be placed in the yard by the curb for easy access, but not placed in the street.
- It must be cut in neat, compact, lightweight bundles of no longer than four feet that can be easily picked-up by one person and placed in a truck or chipper.
- Do not tie the bundles.
- No more than seven bundles per parcel of property each pick-up.
- Commercial contractors are responsible for disposing of any tree and brush cut from a homeowner’s property.
- Property owners are responsible for disposing of any tree roots and trees they trim or cut down that have more than seven bundles of brush.